What the mind can conceive and believe it can achieve... How's your belief doing?
+Tania Clarke is leading this innovative approach delivering in groups and it has been a fascinating journey. We have just done week 5, so one to go. This post is not about the thrive programme but about one element of it; belief systems.
Belief systems are those things that we hold to be true... and we spend quite a lot of energy protecting these belief systems and actually making sure they are water tight. Confirmation bias is looking for things that happen in our lives to confirm what we believe... And therefore re-affirm the belief which in turn makes it a stronger belief.
The real problem of course is that many of our beliefs are actually not true. In fact many of our beliefs are actually holding us back from what we could really achieve. So... A parent evaluating two children might deem that the more social child, who enjoys conversation and connection; extrovert if you like, is not the clever one. The other more introvert child however, prefers books and studying and is considered more intelligent. At exam time, expectations are lower for the extrovert, who subconsciously knows this and therefore delivers at this lower level, more than likely because little effort was expended, of course, why bother, I'm not the clever one. The other more studious child performs well because expectations are higher and the work is done. It is probable that these children will carry these labels for many many years and believe it true right into their adult life, whereas in actual fact, it is likely that all along it was a complete fiction. How cruel is this!! The belief, and the performance to uphold the belief continue working together until... the belief is actually challenged, if it ever is!
We are powerful, amazingly so, if only we were to stop giving our power away through blame and 'learned helplessness'... Together we are able to create the future we want... We just need to start believing we can... and get organised... And anyway, what have we got to lose?
Change is one constant that is always with us... and the conditions for change are definitely upon us once more. There is much you can discover in the media to pander to your fears and worries, but whatever happens we will be stronger if we tackle them together as a team. I don't think there is a 'single individual' with the mental processing power to be able to predict what the world will be like in 2020. Some of it, yes, based on trends, but not all of it. I do believe though that if we can encourage collaboration, cooperation and the desire to create a more equal and fair society that between our collective minds we can create something that works for the vast majority not just a select few. I believe this with all my heart!
To enable us to utilise this 'new conduit' I believe we must have some basic things in place
- we must be able to meet up, talk to each other, listen, learn and connect. Through conversations and connecting we can begin to make things happen by simply choosing to take action
- it must be accessible, people need to be able to find out about it easily and join in
- it must be affordable for all, no barriers to participate
- it must be simple to replicate and duplicate the ideas into new areas
- it needs to be locally delivered (so travel is a minimum) and kept relevant, things going on around us
- it needs to allow connection nationally (and internationally) to share best practice and expedite good ideas
- it needs to provide the capability for us to share our collective knowledge, expertise & experience
- it needs to give all of us the chance to contribute, be of value and service to our community, build our self esteem and be part of something much bigger than ourselves
- it needs to be unattached to any religious or political influence
- it needs to be free from any control by business or investment and a not for profit organisation
It's purpose is very simple...
- for us to be able to create fairer more equal communities which work for the majority
- to enable people to find out what they love doing and enable them to do it, i.e. be happy
- live in a more sustainable and harmonious way with our planet, that goes for ourselves and those around us
To do the above I believe we need to change from a culture of focus on money, greed and blame... To one of taking responsibility for everything in our lives and a focus on what's really important... People and relationships... I accept that this is a 'big' change, but I believe that it is worth striving for.
So in conclusion how we think and what we do comes down to what we believe. If we believe that we are powerless to make changes and that life is 'being done to us' then we will continue to find the facts to support what we believe to be true (and it is our truth, not the only truth)... If on the other hand... You're a bit tired of where things are and you are ready to make some changes... let's see how deep the rabbit hole goes!